St. Francis is one of 35 local churches that partner through the Wake Interfaith Hospitality Network (WIHN) to provide lodging, meals and childcare on a rotating basis to homeless families in our area. Our mission is to help homeless families achieve independent living by providing lodging, meals, and childcare in times of transition and need.
Three times a year homeless families come and find a home for one week on the St. Francis parish campus. The families stay in Clare Hall. There are many ways volunteers can help:
- Bring and/or serve hot, nutritious meals for one or more nights.
- Provide childcare for small children during the evening. Bring your children to play!
- Be an overnight host to offer hospitality and maintain safety.
- Drive the WIHN van to pick up the families from downtown before dinner or return them to the WIHN center in the morning.
- Wash laundry at the end of the week.
- Contact: Ron Smith
- Time Commitment: One hour to a few hours, depending on task
- Gifts: Providing food, cooking, serving food, hospitality, driving, playing with children